I am a life-long, committed learner. I have multiple degrees, and tons of additional course work to show for it. I LOVE learning. I used to focus on science-y stuff like genetics and using technology in the classroom. Now I find that my focus has changed.
I now want to learn more about bringing my children up to be responsible children of God. To do that I have to learn more about the Bible and about raising them as Christians. I have changed to resources that I keep at my fingertips, and the web pages that I bookmark. It has been a wonderful journey so far.
One of the choices that I made for myself was to take part in the Disciple: Becoming Disciples Through Bible Study. This is a 34 week foray through the Bible, book by book. It has been an incredible experience for me. I would never have professed knowing the Bible cover-to-cover so this study was a great way to learn more than the basic stories. We also learned about the history of the time, and discussed current issues related to the Bible. Very cool! And such a help in explaining things to my daughters as we read their Children's Bibles.
Another choice has been to open up with friends and family, and ask for help with parenting issues, specifically Biblical help. To that end, my sister will often send me links to interesting blogs. Her most recent offering comes from the Proverbs 31 Ministries website. It is a blog post by Renee Swope, who describes how she implemented a new way of focusing on the positives with her children while also teaching them Bible verses and Christ-like character traits such as patience, kindness and contentment.
I know that there are not any magic answers to discipline issues, but I am willing to keep learning. I am looking forward to discussing this option with my husband, and hopefully implementing it soon.
1 comment:
That's wonderful. I wish our church offered bible studies like that.
"Patience, kindness and contentment" that would take them far in life, wouldn't it?
Again, thanks for sharing. You make me think and I like that.
Post a Comment