Monday, May 23, 2011

Not-So-Professional

I recently had a very interesting conversation with one of the women in one of my Bible study groups. We were discussing having our cars serviced, and how we generally let the guys at the service shop talk to our husbands. The last time my truck was in for service, my husband was not available to talk to the service guy so he had to deal with me.

Now, I am used to men treating me like the "little woman." Heck, I am only 5'2". I think that generally qualifies as vertically challenged. I am also a blond, and we all know what the general public thinks of blonds. I like to think that I do not fit the mold though.

I am pretty well educated, and I live with a man who is almost as well educated. I only say that because I have several post-graduate classes under my belt that go toward keeping up my teaching certificate. He stopped with his MBA. Let's not compare institutions of higher learning or GPAs though. He'd win, sort of.

Anyway ... the point is that I am a pretty smart chick. I am smart enough to listen when my husband talks about cars, and I am smart enough to make decisions about having mine serviced. I won't go so far as to say that I know how to do all of the work myself. I don't. I do have enough knowledge to know when the service guys are yanking my chain, usually.

I like to let them think they are doing me this big favor though. I think most guys like to "take care of" women. I also like to call their bluff. And I like to call in the big guns when I am not making my point.

I don't think of women as the weaker sex, but I don't mind using it when other people do! It is always a surprise for them when I prove that I do have more than 3 brain cells to bump together. I do think that each gender has characteristics that help us work as a unit. I admit that I have had my husband open many a jar of pickles because I was too lazy to put for the effort myself when it was easy for him. That has nothing to do with my brain capacity though.

I guess my point is - Women, be confident! If you don't know about your car, learn. Knowing what is going on with that machine is not just a guy thing!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am still better at loading the dishwasher than he is though! :)

Mom24 said...

Excellent point, although in our house, sadly, neither one of us knows anything about cars. :)

(I am way better at loading the dishwasher though.