Last year I read several good blogs about setting goals instead of making resolutions at the beginning of a new year. It all made sense to me. There really isn't any accountability in making resolutions, and they are often too nebulous. Setting goals, by definition, creates accountability. Goals generally include measurable steps so accountability is built in, and it is very easy to measure progress.
This has all come back to mind in the past week as my husband and I have reviewed our household budget. Somehow we created a budget where there was more money going out than coming in. Big problem. It lead to some very good conversation, and some new suggestions, not all of them money related. There are several little changes that can be made, the success of which we hope will be measured in a decrease in our bills. Some of the changes involve a little more diligence on our part to adhering to the budget.
All of this conversation got me to thinking about my own goals for 2011. What do I want to accomplish, and how do I want to get it done?
*I want to take the last class that I need in order to renew my teaching credentials before they expire in 2012. I would prefer to take an online course for graduate credit, and I want to take something that allows me the flexibility to complete assignments at times that do not take me away from my family (big mistake I made with the course I took over the summer).
- My goal is to take one online, graduate level course that will fulfill the requirements to renew my teaching credentials.
*I want to meet the "48 visits to the gym requirement in six months" so that we can get the reimbursement from my husband's company. It isn't much, but it would cover more than a month's dues. I also want to keep up the momentum I created this past fall. I feel good. I have lost weight, even during the holiday season. My energy is up and my body fat is down.
- My goal is to go to the gym 4 times a week, participating in a Pilates or Yoga class at least twice a week, and completing a 30 minute cardio workout each visit.
*I want to improve our diets. This is a particular challenge as my husband does not love fruits and most veggies. My daughters keep changing their minds about what they like. We all like bread and butter. It is frustrating. I need to stop giving in when something new doesn't meet rave reviews. I need to stop taking the easy route and making boxed pasta side dishes. There are all kinds of health issues on both sides of our families, and I need to retrain all 4 of us to make better choices.
- My goals are to 1) eat fish at least once a week; 2) only eat whole grain pastas, and make my own sauces; 3) increase the availability of fruits and vegetables for all of us (this means keeping apple slices and salad stuff ready in the fridge).
Three goals may not seem like much, but I feel like these are pretty major deals. Of course I want to spend more time with friends, and get more involved in church, but I don't see those as goals. Desires, but not goals. And, to be honest, I don't think I have the focus to work on more than these 3 things right now.
We'll just have to see how it goes.
2 comments:
I think these are great goals! Good luck and I hope you achieve them.
Those are really good goals. I like the way you've broken them down and made them seem manageable, but I understand that they'll be major changes nonetheless.
I love your nutrition goals as well. Last night I made a orange lo mein from whole wheat pasta--that's one of the keys for me, if I prepare regular pasta dishes w/whole wheat noodles my family often doesn't like them, but when I prepare things that are new and different then they tend to enjoy them. I also prepared it with 1/2 chicken and 1/2 shrimp. I was surprised that they at least tried the shrimp. The only whole wheat brand I've found that we enjoy is DeLallo.
Fish once a week is an admirable goal. Good luck with it. If you end up meal planning I'll be curious to see how you incorporate it. I should be serving fish more.
Post a Comment