Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Well, I never ...

thought I'd have to admit to this, but I have started ironing my sheets. (Okay, all of you who know me well can stop laughing at any time) You see, I am SO not the domestic goddess type. It has been a real struggle to establish a house cleaning routine. I used to wield the toilet brush only when expecting company. Then the Misses started potty training, and missing the potty. Now you can find me with my Swiffer in one pink, latex gloved hand and the toilet brush in the other just about every Tuesday morning. I'm still working on the mopping thing though.

So what deos this have to do with ironing? Well, that is my leat favorite chore. I'd even rather scrub a toilet, twice. I don't even iron Husband's shirts. That is what permanent press is for! This was working really, really well for me until we moved here. Now the forces of France are working against me. First, I think all French people have either an ironing-loving gene or a really big dry cleaning bill. They iron everything - even the cloth napkins that they send to school with the kids for lunch time. Second, we have this awesome clothes washer that can spin the clothes at 1200 rpms. Our jeans now have new creases! As do my sheets. I tried really hard to avoid ironing the sheets, but when the sheets for the Misses' beds wouldn't go over the sides of the beds because the edges were so drawn up, I had to cave. So now I iron the sheets, but only when they absolutely need it!

And today, I ironed the kitchen towels. :)

3 comments:

Dig said...

What's an iron? ;)

kim said...

I'm holding out…as long as possible.

Does your washing sound like a jet plane during take off too? Cool isn't it? Think of all we'd miss out on if we only lived in the States :)

Anonymous said...

You're too funny! I'm only ironed sheets once, and that was when Keith came home on R&R from Iraq when we lived in Simpsonville. I don't see myself doing that again this time, though.