This wish goes out to all of my fellow Americans as we celebrate the day those first folks realized they were going to make it, and decided to thank the people who helped them survive their first winter in a strange land. Boy, can I relate! There's nothing like being a stranger in a strange land to help you understand a little about how those Pilgrims might have felt.
This is the first year that either of the Misses seems curious about Thanksgiving. They have been around lots of people recently who have been talking about the Thanksgiving dinners that they will be preparing. Wednesday, we delivered 3 large cans of corn meal to an American friend so she can make corn bread dressing for a bunch of French friends this weekend. To top that, we attended the church's annual Thanksgiving dinner this past Sunday.
Today, Miss S finally stopped talking about Christmas long enough to ask about this Thanksgiving thing. I was happy to explain until I realized that the explanation wasn't as simple as I remember from my childhood. Imagine trying to explain the whole thing to an almost 5-year-old while driving the car! This is one story that REALLY needs visual aids! Miss S did a pretty good job keeping the Europeans and Native Americans straight, I think. And she even seemed to understand about traveling to the US (that would make sense to a world-traveling kid, wouldn't it?). I guess I am the one who got caught up in the need to tell the story in a politically correct manner.
Tonight I am looking forward to our dinner discussion. I can't wait to hear what the Misses are thankful for. I bet there wil lbe some funny things on the list!
This year I am thankful for so many things. Here is an incomplete list (I know I'll forget lots of stuff):
*my new relationship with God
*my family, here and in the US
*my friends, here and in the US
*the opportunity to live in a foreign country and truly experience a different culture
*all of the men and women who are serving or have served in the military, US and other countries, who are working/have worked to ensure my safety and freedom
*those Pilgrims who had the courage to sail into the unknown and forge a new life so that I could eventually be a US citizen
*how blessed we have been in our lives.
I hope you all spend a wonderful day. Eat a turkey leg and some cranberry sauce for us, and check out the Macy's Parade for me. I can't wait to see the new balloons next year!
1 comment:
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
We are enjoying the sunshine, a cooking turkey and some stuffing with sage smelling like a real American Thanksgiving.
Ah, the Macy's Day Parade! Oh, how I miss the big balloons.
Post a Comment