Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas!

Before you read further, I apologize for spelling errors. Spellcheck isn't working for me today, and I tried to catch them, but you know how it goes ...

We have had a weeekend filled with Christmas traditions. We have been playing Christmas carols. The window clings are on the sliding glass door. The tree is up with lights and decorations on it. There are even a few presents underneath it. All that is missing is the smell of something Christmas-y baking in the oven (so not my thing). Not too bad for a family of sick people.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. The Misses woke up early (ugh - it was Saturday ... sleep in) and were ready to start the decorating LONG before Mommy and Daddy were even functioning properly (How do kids do that - wake up R-E-A-D-Y?). It almost became a game to see what we could come up with next to put off the decorating. We even went so far as taking each of the girls Christmas shopping for her sister. At Toys R US. With all of the maniac French who shop LONG before the week before Christmas, and don't know how to park.

I went twice, once for each child.

Both girls are turning out to be my kind of shoppers. Each one found a gift for her sister in record time. These are pretty good gifts too. They are both really excited about what they picked out. Miss M was so excited that she finally couldn't stand it and told Miss S what she was getting for Christmas. Miss S wouldn't budge though. She told her sister that she didn't want to hear anymore, and would definitely not say what she bought for Miss M. Miss M kept pushing until the Parentals had to intervene. Now the gifts are wrapped and under the tree, and Miss S wants to open hers NOW! This is gonna be a fun month! Wait until more presents appear under the tree. Hee, hee!

After the shopping sprees, we worked on putting up our fake tree. I took a new tack this year and put the lights immediately after we installed each layer of branches. The whole process went very well. The Misses were kept busy unpacking the next layer of branches while I strung lights. No one was left at odds, waiting for the next job.

Today's agenda was topped by tree decorations. I separated the breakables from the non-breakables, gave the Misses a pile and let them go crazy. They did a great job. I only had to offer a little guidance. One "down side" - Miss M is getting tall enough that I had to really stretch to hang the breakables above her reach. I kept getting in her way and putting ornaments where she wanted to put hers.

My favorite part of the whole decorating process has been listening to them as they recounted the stories about the different ornaments. We have ornaments made by family members, some from former students of mine, things that we have collected during our travels, yearly pictures of the girls, special pewter ornaments purchased each year for the girls, some from my childhood, and so much more.

And at the top of the tree are 2 Nativity ornaments and a tin angel. One of the Nativity ornaments is cheap plastic and kind of tacky, but it is from my childhood. I remember feeling so special each time I got to put it on the tree. Beside it is a hand-blown glass Nativity from Murano, Italy. Miss M picked that one out last year during our trip to Venice. Both are watched over by a handmade angel.

I hope all of you have a chance to enjoy some holiday traditions with your loved ones.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

It sounds like y'all are having a great time preparing for Christmas! Are you taking lots of pictures? I think you should have some kind of digital recorder to record the conversations the misses have as a way of preserving the memories. Or maybe you are already doing this. They sound adorable!

RHB said...

I love putting on each ornament and remembering it's history too. Ok, you are inspiring me to go ahead and get out all the decorations.