Monday, October 26, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Well, I totally blew last week's menu! Not that we didn't eat well. We just didn't eat what I planned. It was so nice to know that I had enough food stocked in the freezer and pantry to be able to deviate from the menu. On the upside, I got into a major cooking mood on Saturday and made a pan of lasagna and a pan of manicotti. Then Miss S and I made a great cheese bread (recipe at the end) and a pan of brownies. YUM!

I am hoping to do a better job this week as I need to restock the freezer!

Monday - leftovers - some kind of meat that I pulled from the freezer, pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese, and veggies
Tuesday - leftover enchiladas and jalapeno poppers
Wednesday - that pesky chicken picatta that never gets made
Thursday - tacos
Friday - spaghetti and meatballs with a side salad
Saturday - French onion soup
Sunday - mac'n cheese with ham casserole
Monday - Swiss steak in the slow cooker

Two-cheese Twirl Bread (The Pampered Chef)

2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 pkgs refrigerated French bread dough
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp fresh snipped parsley

*Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly spray 4 mini loaf pans with oil or cooking spray. Add pressed garlic to melted butter.
*On a lightly floured surface, unroll one package of bread dough; do not stretch. Brush the dough with the garlic butter. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and parsley (I mixed this all together to make it easier to sprinkle for Miss S).
*Unroll the second dough directly over the first, matching seams and rolling lightly to seal. Brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture.
*Starting at the narrow edge, roll dough tightly; press edge to seal. Slice roll into 4 equal pieces and place in mini loaf pans seam side down. Make a deep cut down the length of each loaf without cutting through ends. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove pan to a cooling rack for 5 minutes, then remove bread from pans. Eat warm (but it is really good cold too).

Swiss Steak (from 365 Favorite Name Brand Slow Cooker Recipes & More)

2 lbs beef round steak, about 1 inch thick
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 carrots, pared and chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)

Cut steak into 4 serving pieces. Dredge in flour mixed with salt; place in slow cooker. Add chopped veggies and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomato sauce over meat and veggies. Cover and cook on Low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.

Just before serving, sprinkle with grated cheese.

Recipe may be doubled for 5 qt. cooker. Cook maximum time.

If you are looking for a new cold weather favorite meal, check out the ideas on OrgJunkie.

3 comments:

Liz said...

the two cheese twirl bread sounds good. Nice menu this week.Thank you for posting.

Unknown said...

Mmm...the Swiss Steak sounds delicious. My husband was actually requesting it a few weeks ago.
Looks like you have a yummy week planned.
Have a great Halloween or Harvest Festival!

Mom24 said...

All right, that's it. I'm definitely coming for dinner one of these weeks. It always sounds wonderful!

Thanks for that recipe, it sounds really good.