Wednesday, November 21, 2007

We are Domestic Goddesses




Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. It is hard to get into the spirit living so far away from the U.S. The Husband will have to work on Thursday, and will likely be home late as he has meetings all this week. Makes it hard to plan a Thanksgiving dinner, or get into the spirit of this uniquely American holiday. Nos Filles and I decided that we needed to have a Thanksgiving little pick-me-up, and make a surprise for Daddy so we decided to make our very first pumpkin pie yesterday. For those of you who know me well, you know that this was a big undertaking for me as I am convinced that I am missing the "baking" gene necessary to create edible desserts. We forged ahead though, and created a pie worth eating. From the recreation of the recipe (it would have made 3 pies) to the preparation of the pumpkin (can't get canned pumpkin here so we had to start with the real gourd) to the rolling of the crust (out of the box mind you), it was a labor of love, and lots of fun too! he Husband came home to shouts of "Daddy we made you a pumpkin pie!" and pronounced it "okay." I'll take that, and he can make the next one. :)
Today, Nos Filles decided that we needed to clean the house. Evidently someone picked up on a recent comment that the windows were looking a little dirty. My response was to hand them some paper towels and spray the window for them. Once the windows were sparkling, we put the window decorations back up. Miss M proclained them beautiful despite the pouring rain on the other side of the window. With our first chore finished, Nos Filles stated that we needed to dust (in that tone of voice that only almost-4-year-olds know how to use). Again, I handed them rags and sent them off with instructions to let me know when I needed to work on things they can't reach. I am happy to say that they did a fantastic job.

3 comments:

Dig said...

Just remember, today you celebrate what you are thankful for regardless if there is a turkey on the table!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Rev. Kurt Huber said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Go Blue!

RHB said...

Your pumpkin pie was delicious! Happy Thanksgiving!