Why is it one never has a camera when it is needed? We walked outside to go to school this morning and found SNOW! Big, fat flakes. It was beautiful and fun. The best part was walking up to the school with Nos Filles. They were chattering about the snow, trying to decide if there would be time for sledding before lunch. Unfortunately, the snow on the ground did not last. The saving grace was that tiny snowflakes continued to fall during lunch. Nothing like a meal with a show.
The snow brought a realization today. I was raised in the South. Life stopped with a screeching halt with the first flake in the town where I grew up. The bread and milk flew from the shelves. We would get a couple of inches of snow and be out of school for a week. One year, we made a toboggan run through our front yard. Snow was a big deal where I grew up.
Now, you might think that I would have learned how to drive in snow at some point, but I didn't. There wasn't ever enough of it once I was able to drive. More often we had ice. I never learned to drive in that either. It wasn't ever a problem for until I moved to France. During our first year here, my fear of driving in snow was debilitating, until this morning. My realization: I was driving in French rush-hour traffic in the snow and wasn't the least bit scared. Maybe I'm finally growing up.
1 comment:
Welcome to blogging! And CONGRATS on driving in the snow!
Post a Comment