Sunday, May 2, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

Hey y'all! I hope you are all having a great start to your week. We are off to a good start as it is Sunday evening and I already have the menu planned AND the shopping list done. I am all ready to hit the ground running tomorrow. I am excited about our menu this week. I have a few new recipes to try, including some special things for my in-laws' visit this weekend. I actually thought about leaving this part off to surprise them, but where is the fun in that? Then all of you would miss out on what I am trying.

Before I tell you what is coming up, let me tell you about a few things I have tried recently. First is the Curried Chicken Tidbits. I made these for some friends for our Girls Night In, and we all liked them. They were sweet, not spicy. I paired them with rice and Sweet Potato Yeast Bread. Yum! This bread was a surprise. It was not overly sweet, and paired well with the meal. Now I just have to see if my family will eat it. Orange bread may not be their thing. The last thing we tried was Pepper Steak. I really enjoyed the flavor of the meat, but didn't love the veggies. Then again, I am not a pepper fan (Dad, don't even ask why I tried this if I don't like peppers). One of the Misses also liked the meat. Their Dad and Miss S said it was okay, but not their favorite. I am not writing it off of the possibles list, especially for those nights when I need a crock pot meal.

Now, here's what is on the menu in order from Monday to Sunday:
Tacos
Tandoori Chicken and salad
Roast beef sandwiches and fries
Spicy Grilled Chicken and salad
Grilled duck breast, salad and fresh bread
Prime Rib, salad and fresh bread
Pork Loin with grilled Apple Cream Sauce (minus the sauce), potatoes, and salad

If you are looking for more meal inspiration, check out the weekly menu round-up at OrgJunkie's Menu Plan Monday

And for the recipes:

Prime Rib with Au Jus (courtesy of The New Eat Yourself Thin Like I Did! cookbook)

3.5 lb prime rib
1 Tbsp Montreal Steak seasoning
2 tsp bottled minced garlic, or 4 fresh cloves minced

Au jus
2 cups beef broth
1 tsp bottled minced garlic or 2 fresh cloves minced
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Preheat oven to 325 F. Trim excess fat from outer edge of roast. Rub all sides with garlic, then sprinkle all sides with Montreal Steak seasoning, pressing it into the meat. Place bone side down into a sprayed roaster with at least 2 inch sides.

Roast until desired doneness. Use a meat thermometer, and remove when it is 5 degrees below desired temperature. When meat has reached desired doneness remove and place on a cutting board. Let stand 15 minutes covered with aluminum foil.

Prepare au jus. Mix ingredients in a medium bowl and add to drippings in the roasting pan. Bring to a boil, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Slice roast and ladle Au Jus over each serving.

Tandoori Chicken (courtesy of A Doctor Discusses Cholesterol)

1 broiler-fryer, 2.5 to 3 lbs, cut into parts (I will be using boneless chicken breasts)
1 cup low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Lowry's seasoned pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp crushed fennel seeds
Pinch Saffron
Pinch crushed red pepper

In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, seasoned pepper, coriander, ginger, fennel, saffron, and crushed red pepper. Place chicken in a glass pan and pour mixture over it, coating all pieces well. Cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours.

Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cook uncovered over low heat for about 45 minutes, turning and basting every 10 minutes with marinade.

Chicken Spicy Grilled Breasts (same Cholesterol book)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp dried hot pepper flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp Lowry's seasoned pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

Spray grill with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat barbecue to medium.

Put the oil, lemon juice, and seasoned pepper in a shallow dish and stir to blend. Add the garlic, coriander, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Stir.

Place chicken pieces in dish and turn them in the marinade. Cover and set aside until ready to grill.

Grill chicken for 3-4 minutes on one side; turn and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Continue cooking, turning often for a total of about 10 minutes.

Chicken breasts may also be broiled.

Pork Tenderloin with Grilled Apple Cream Sauce (courtesy of a Kingsford Charcoal cookbook)

1 can (6 oz) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed and diced
1/2 cup Calvados or brandy, divided
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper
1.5 lbs pork tenderloin
2 green or red apples
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 large red onion, cut into thin slivers
1/2 cup heavy cream
Fresh thyme sprigs

Reserve 2 Tbsp juice concentrate. Combine remaining juice concentrate, Calvados, mustard, oil, garlic, 1 tsp salt and pepper in a glass dish. Add pork; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, turning pork occasionally. Cut apples crosswise into 3/8-inch rings. Remove pork from marinade and discard marinade. Grill pork on covered grill over medium coals about 20 minutes, turning 3 times, until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part reads 155 F. Grill apples about 4 minutes per side until tender; cut rings into quarters. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until soft. Stir in apples, remaining Calvados, salt and juice concentrate. Add cream; heat through. Cut pork crosswise into 1/2-inch slices; spoon sauce over pork. Garnish with fresh thyme.

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

Sorry the pepper steak wasn't a hit. My kids don't like the veggies either, but they do eat the meat.

Thanks for the recipes, they sound very intriguing.