Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The comfort of a memory

I haven't written much about this, but my grandmother passed away in late January. As a result, I had an opportunity to spend a weekend with most of my father's side of the family. It was such a great experience because we had an opportunity to share memories that we have of Grandma.

I have 2 sisters and 2 cousins and we all spent time with our grandparents when we were children. My sisters and I were fortunate to live about 10 minutes from our grandparents, and to have them very actively involved in our lives. One memory that the three of us share is The Sick Blanket.

Grandma was the one who would pick us up from school when we were sick. She had a knack for making each of us feel special, especially when we didn't feel good. She had a special blanket that we only used when we were sick. She would tuck us under the blanket on her couch and make sure that we had everything that we needed close at hand. She still had that blanket when she passed away.

I had forgotten about that blanket, and about a lot of other things about my Grandma until about 3 weeks ago. Now I have an opportunity to pass some of her lessons to my family.

Miss M is home from school until Monday. The poor child has croup, and she feels miserable. She is currently tucked under a blanket on our couch watching kids' shows on the local public television station. It isn't a special "sick" blanket that only gets used when one of us is sick. It is the afghan that is always on the back of the couch. The afghan that my husband's grandmother made especially for him. I am not ready to set it aside to only be used when someone is sick, but I bet there is a blanket in this house that can fill that role.

You see, we have several afghans, quilts, and other blankets that the grandmothers made. I think one of these already special blankets might need a new purpose.

Maybe Miss M can help me pick one out so that she can feel a little better.

Do you have a special memory from your childhood? Something that helped you feel better when you were sick? Is this something that you can pass on to your family? Just something to think about.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope all those good memories help you when you get to missing her. Lately my sister and I talk once a week and share memories of my childhood (since she is ten years older, her memory is much better). I have been enjoying the stories she tells me that I had forgotten. If you can, you might want to record some of your stories so your children can pass them down to their children and so on.

Mom24 said...

I'm very sorry about your grandmother. What a lovely story though and a wonderful tradition.

I remember when I was sick my dad would make me eggs in a bowl. They were just soft boiled eggs with toast, but I have tried and tried and not been able to replicate them.