Thursday, February 25, 2010

Another Family Tradition

This is another Grandma memory. When I was a preschooler, my mother had the opportunity to go back to school and finish her bachelor's degree. I was too young for school, and we didn't have any great daycare options where we lived. Luckily, my grandparents lived close by, and my grandmother was able to take care of me a couple of days a week. We had all kinds of adventures. One of our special things was to have tea parties with a china tea set that had belonged to my great grandmother (Grandma's mother-in-law).

Today, I was able to pass on that adventure to my daughters. I have been hesitant to let them use the tea set because I know it cannot be replaced. I had ignored the fact that I was much younger than they are when I was using it. I wasn't much older then my girls are now when my Grandmother gave me the tea set.

Today, I finally got out the tea set and let my girls play. And they proved to me once again that they are more than ready for the responsibility. They were very gentle and grown up while they had their "tea." Miss S even cried when she dropped the lid to the tea pot and thought she had broken it when she saw the vent hole. She was crushed at the thought that she had broken the special tea set.



I wonder what other responsibilities they could handle. I do know now that I will be more open to letting them try more so that we can find out!

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

I'm sure they'll be careful and responsible, but I am in awe of you that you would let them use that. What an heirloom. Very, very fun!

RHB said...

How fun! Did you drink real tea?