My wonderful husband bought me a large, upright freezer when we moved back to the US last year. Then he bought me a Food Saver vacuum system for Christmas.
I AM IN HEAVEN!!!
I love that I have space to store leftovers. I love that I can cook ahead again. It has been so nice on some of our recent rushed nights to be able to pull out a complete, already-cooked meal. Lovely! (Of course, the down-side to bulk cooking is that some of the less-than-loved leftovers still show up again.)
What I love the most is that I am able to truly take advantage of meats when they go on sale. Today I bought 3 rib roasts that were on sale for $5.99 a pound. I came home and immediately put those bad boys into vacuum bags, sealed them up and threw them into the deep freeze. I will probably be going back to that same store on Monday to buy a few more before the sale ends. Those roasts will last for several months in the vacuum bags in the deep freeze. It is such a nice thing to be able to pull out a very nice cut of meat and prepare an extra-special meal just because. I didn't buy just the roasts either. I found stew beef on sale as well as smoked hams. One ham can make 4 or 5 meals, plus their own leftovers, for our family of 4. It is SO worth it.
So, I totally blew the grocery budget today, but I don't mind. I will stretch the meat that I bought over the next several weeks. I will make it work out.
And I cannot wait!
1 comment:
Really awesome. I've thought and thought about a food saver. Good to know you think they're worth it.
Post a Comment