I just had one of those moments when I had to sit back, look at the calendar, and marvel at how quickly time passes sometimes. Now this is not an unusual thing for me so you might be wondering why I am writing about it. Well, the lightening struck when I opened my blog to see what other people have been writing about lately. I realized that I haven't written a word in almost 2 weeks, and the time has just flown by! I feel like we just got back home from Thanksgiving. Wow. That is kind of a good thing as Thanksgiving is what I want to write about.
One of my recent posts was about the Misses watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade for the first time. It was so much fun to sit with them and ooh and ah over the floats and marching bands. I so remember feeling the same way when I was a kid. At the end of the parade I asked each girl about her favorite float, and they both answered "The pink princess castle, Mommy" in that tone of voice that kids only use when they think their parent has just asked a very silly question. Guess I should have known, huh?
The parade wasn't our only highlight from the weekend. Here are a few others:
*Eating Thanksgiving dinner - I don't cook turkeys mostly because they have a lot of meat on them, and I am lazy about deboning. I'd rather have a turkey breast and be done with it. My MIL made a great feast for us, including a whole bird for the Misses to admire. Miss S made sure that she was in the kitchen while Papa carved the turkey, and she got the very first sample, just to make sure it was okay for everyone to eat. And eat we did!
*Going to an open practice of our favorite ice hockey team ... -We all like ice hockey, and have all benefited from my in-laws living in a town where there is an NHL team. Well, the Misses haven't truly benefited yet, but they will soon as we have tickets for an upcoming game. When we found out that there was an open practice while we were "home" we knew we had to take the Misses. It would be a good test for them to see if they still liked hockey seeing it live rather than on the TV.
*and finding some more grandparents, an aunt, and some cousins there too - It turned out that AuntT and her kids, A and Z, were able to hang out with Gram and Gramp for a few extra days that just so happened to coincide with our visit. Kind of cool how that worked out, huh? I thought it would be fun to have all of the kids at the hockey practice, and Gram and AuntT made it happen. It was so much fun to watch the girls faces as they realized that those people walking toward them were A and Z. As soon as it hit them, they were GONE. Good thing their cousins are used to being tackled by a couple of little girls and were ready. They whole rest of the day was full of giggling and smiles.
*Wii bowling is not for those with low self-esteem - My sister and mother talked me into bowling on the Wii with them. Everyone else was occupied somewhere else so we thought we were safe. HA! I think we were on maybe the fifth frame and other people started trickling in. Before we knew it, the controllers were in the hands of the children, and we were being out bowled. My almost 6-year-olds kicked my rear! But it was so much fun.
*Gardening is good for people of all ages - One interest we share with my Dad is gardening. We took him to visit, and work in our community garden during his last visit here. This time he took us to see the garden he has been working on with a group from his church. It was fun to see what they are doing, and how they are doing it. It was extra fun to watch the girls totally engaged in conversation with their grandfather about a common interest. Recently his garden project has hit some snags, but we are hoping that those will be worked out and this sharing can continue.
I am sure that I am forgetting LOTS of things about the weekend. We had a wonderful time visiting with our families, and I didn't have to cook all weekend! All in all, a very nice trip.
2 comments:
It sounds like it was wonderful. I'm glad. I have missed you, but I assumed you were busy with life. :-)
Hope your holiday preparations are going well.
Hurray for not having to cook! Glad you had a good trip!
Post a Comment