Saturday, October 2, 2010

Who Knew?

My children are constantly a source of wonder and amazement for me. Today was no exception. It has been one of those really great fall days where the weather is not too hot or too cold, and the sky is a beautiful October blue. It was a day that just begged to be enjoyed from the outside of the house. So enjoy we did.

There is a park not too far from our house that has 2 playgrounds, a ton of baseball fields, an amphitheater, some very nice walking paths, and a little train. It also has 3 geocaches. Today, there was also a Koi show/festival thing going on. Something for everyone!

I knew the kids would love the playgrounds, and might like the fancy fish. I knew that my husband I would enjoy the walking paths and the geocaching. I was all set for a good afternoon.

What I got was a GREAT afternoon. We did it ALL. Well, all of it but the amphitheater. The kids played on one of the playgrounds then talked us into riding the train. From the train we scoped out possible locations for the closest geocache. We made decisions as a family about how to approach the first cache, and we found it together.

It was during the search for the second geocache that the Misses really surprised me. They spotted the Koi tanks and wanted to see the fish. I expected this fascination to last a few minutes then we'd go back to or search. OH NO! We looked at every. single. tank.

And they asked questions about so many of the fish. Luckily there was a very nice lady from the festival who seemed to appreciate their enthusiasm, and who was very willing to wander around with us and field those questions. She even kept them engaged by hinting about the location of the largest fish on display. She told the Misses the Japanese names for the different colors and patterns, and she educated us all on how Koi are raised.

And the Misses absorbed every word. Then they asked even more questions.

Who knew that some fancy fish would hold my children captive for 45 minutes?

After the Koi experience, mu husband and I decided that no geocache could top it so we headed home. The Misses are currently at their art table coloring pictures and discussing the fish.

Who knew?!

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Darn! I wanted to go to that and forgot about it. I found one geocache there at the park and still need to find the other one that I never found. Didn't know there were three out there.

Mom24 said...

Aren't those just the perfect days? I'm glad you stumbled on this one.

J&J love koi too.