I was very proud of myself last week. I prepared most of our meals out of the freezer which kept the grocery budget down. I even made it to the end of the month with money left over! Not too bad.
That was last week.
I generally do my shopping on Mondays. That gives me time to review the store fliers, and consult with the other people who eat here. All-in-all we're generally pretty good about making smart choices, and being patient for the sales on the special items. That is, until the Adventure Princess-Daddy fall camping trip rolls around.
This is the one time that the kids (and Dad) get to request junk food, and I will actually buy it. This fall's requests included Swiss Cake Rolls, chocolate chips cookies (and they had to be store-bought), beef jerky, M & M's in the snack packs, chocolate dipped granola bars, Gatorade, and Dum Dums lollipops.
This from the same kids who were eating peppers as an appetizer over the weekend, and asking me to cut some up to have for after-school snacks this week!
I'm not really bothered by it. After all, they only go camping twice a year, and I know their Dad will do his best to keep the snacking under control. I want them to have fun, and to have snacks to share with the other girls (I went healthy in the spring and no one wanted our snacks).
What gets me is the blow to the budget! Now I remember one of the reasons that I rarely buy this stuff. It is EXPENSIVE.
It is worth it though, or will be when the Misses get home and see the loot.
1 comment:
There is a time and a place, and it sounds like you've found the perfect both. Can you imagine how excited they're going to be? Fun. :)
Does this mean you get a weekend all alone? Jealous!
Post a Comment