Monday, August 30, 2010

The Menu

I got away from posting my menus during the summer because I was too caught up in living, and eating. Lots of grilling going on this summer, and eating fresh food from the garden. I worked hard to find the closest-to-perfect-for-us jalapeno popper recipe, and I tried my hand at pickling cucumbers, then banana peppers. Hubby has even gotten in to the act by pickling jalapenos. From a culinary aspect, this summer has been a blast!

I haven't really missed posting my menu. I have missed sharing my triumphs and failures with my bog buddies. You guys have really come through on the failures. I have missed the support and suggestions. In that light, here is some of what we are eating this week:

Honey Bourbon Salmon - I'll make this on Thursday when Hubby is working late as he does not love fish. My goal is to get the girls and I eating fish 2-3 times per month.

Egyptian Marinade for Kebabs
1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 onions, chopped and crushed to extract juice
2 bay leaves, cut into small pieces
2 tsp dried oregano
salt and black pepper

Baked Chicken
1 fryer, cut up
Salt
Thyme, powdered
Tarragon leaves
Margarine
1 can Golden Mushroom soup

Put chicken in an oiled baking dish. Sprinkle salt over chicken. Next sprinkle thyme over chicken, then tarragon leaves. Dot each piece of chicken with margarine. Mix 1 can of soup with 3/4 can of water. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Baste two or three times.

I am not linking to the regular menu planning site this week, but you can go there for more ideas if you like. I hope you all have a great week!

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

That sounds really good. My kids like fish a lot. I don't fix it as much as I should because of the cost, but you've inspired me. I used to shoot for once a week, but 2-3 times a month is much more reasonable for me.

They really enjoy flounder, lightly dusted with seasoned flour and quick-sauteed in butter. They also like salmon, grilled, both with lemon or sometimes I make it in a marinade with maple syrup, dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar, then grilled.

Good luck and share recipes as you explore. I've never tasted bourbon but this recipe intrigues me.

I think once Rebekah's gone and things settle into a routine I'm going to go back to posting a meal plan as well.