Monday, August 23, 2010

Homework Blues

The Misses started first grade last week. It was a fairly gentle introduction into a new class with new teachers. Life was pretty good except for the absurdly early wake-ups every morning.

Then came week #2 and homework. I don't remember having homework in first grade, but that was a l-o-n-g time ago. I have been dreading this day for a while mostly because I feel that my children have been engaged for 8 hours and need some play time when they get home. The Misses have been dreading it because it is homework, and to be honest, they don't really know what that means.

I shouldn't have worried. Today's assignment is a half-page worksheet with two lines of the number 5, and one of the number 2. The girls are simply to write the numbers over and over.

And they HATE it.

Last year they learned the numbers up to 100. They feel like they are going backwards. I have tried to explain to them that they have a new teacher who needs to know what they know and is using these activities to figure that out.

Hopefully the assignments will get more interesting as time goes on. I cannot wait until the girls really, truly "get" reading. I think that will make a big difference. I have been amazed at how things change when the girls get to be more independent.

But for now ... we'll slog away at the homework and smile.

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

Nice new layout. I like it. :)

Good luck with the homework. I hope the teacher doesn't abuse it and turn it into all busy work. Julianna, last year, in first grade, had 45 minutes of homework often a night. It was insane. Way too much for a 7 year old.