Sunday, April 11, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

I am inspired to write today mostly because I can smell my dinner cooking. We are having Slow Cooker Pork Chops II and it smells really good. Even the Misses think so. I also realized that I have not posted a menu for a while. Not because we have not been eating, but because we are fully into the swing of spring. There just isn't time to devote to the computer. I do have several recipes to pass on though, so check out the end of this post!

Here is what is on the menu for this week:
the pork chops
Baked Chicken Breast Supreme
Breakfast - eggs, bacon, and biscuits
leftovers
Curried Chicken Tidbits
Pepper Steak
Marinated pork chops on the grill
Kebabs and salad
homemade pizza

If you are in need of some new ideas for the new season, check out the menus posted at
Menu Plan Monday.

Now for some recipes ...

Onion Roasted Potatoes - This is the traditional Lipton recipe for the potatoes roasted in the oven with the onion soup mix. We changed it up by cooking this dish on the grill. We used a throw-away aluminum pan, sprayed well with olive oil. We mixed up the oil and soup mix with the diced potatoes and poured it all into the pan. I added between 1/4 and 1/2 cup water to the pan, then sealed it all up with aluminum foil. We cooked it for about 30 minutes, and it came out great. I liked it even better than the oven version.

Balsamic Chicken and Spring Vegetables - I used chicken breasts not thighs but the taste was still good. I am the only one who ate the veggies, but that was okay. Still a good crockpot option for a busy day.

Easy Garlic Chicken - My kids loved this one, once I took the bread crumbs off. It is a texture thing. The flavor was great and the meat was moist. Definitely a keeper. I did end up with WAY more bread crumbs that needed, so I will cut this by half next time. I can always add more to the bowl if I need to.

Baked Chicken Breast Supreme (Courtesy of the Garber United Methodist Church cookbook Joy of Sharing)

6 Whole boneless chicken breasts
2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp celery salt
2 tsp paprika
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cups dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Cut chicken breasts in half, wipe well with damp paper towels. In large bowl, combine sour cream with lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken to mixture, coating each piece well. Let stand, covered, in refrigerator all day or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Remove chicken from sour cream mixture. Roll in crumbs, coating evenly. Arrange in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan. Melt butter in small saucepan. Spoon over chicken. Bake, uncovered for one hour until chicken is tender and nicely brown.

Marinade for Beef Kebabs

1 cup dry red wine
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp fresh oregano

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Let simmer 2 minutes and remove from heat. Let stand until cools to room temperature. Pour over meat and refrigerate 1-24 hours. Grill

Honey Glazed Chicken (Courtesy of Betty Crocker Best Recipes for Grilling)

1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients. Brush on chicken pieces during last 10 minutes of cooking.

Southwestern Brush-on (Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens BBQ P.D.Q.)

1 cup catsup
1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp bottled hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp cumin or chili powder
1/8 tsp ground red pepper

Mix it all together in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered 25-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Brush evenly onto meat during last 10 minutes of grilling. Heat remaining sauce until bubbly. Pass with meat.

Good for beef, chicken, pork or lamb.

No comments: