Sunday, April 4, 2010

How we talked about Easter this year

I am the first to admit that a) I am not a very good elementary age teacher, and b) I have a lot to learn about God and the Bible. I truly struggle when my children ask me questions about God, Jesus, things in the Bible, and more. I often dig myself into a hole when trying to answer them. As a result, I think their spiritual education has suffered.

This Easter was an exception. Lots of things fell into place to help me help my children understand what Easter is all about. First, the Bible study group that I have been attending has been studying the book of John. Our study was wrapping up, and was set to end the Thursday before Easter. That meant that the last two weeks of our study, the weeks covering the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, fell at just the right time. The lessons were fresh in my mind.

About the same time, the French/English conversation group that I attend was having their gathering. Our topic this time was Easter traditions. One of the American ladies shared her family tradition of using Resurrection Eggs and the book, Benjamin's Box, to explain the events surrounding Easter to her children. Inspired, I went to our local Christian Book store and bought some eggs, then searched the Internet for a copy of the book.

I was a little nervous about what my family would think of this approach, but I shouldn't have worried. The Misses got so excited that they begged for the eggs each night. They took turns opening the eggs, and asked questions. At the end of the week, they were able to explain the events of the week. They even have a basic understanding of the WHY of Easter.

I am very proud of my children for their openness and curiosity. I am also very thankful for the people and events of the past few weeks. And I am looking forward to having a new Easter tradition for my family.

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

Good for you! It's a hard story to explain, isn't it? My kids cannot understand why Good Friday's "Good".

I'm also having a heck of time explaining why their nephew didn't get a visit from the Easter bunny. *sigh*